Today the palace announced details on the much anticipated celebrations of Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee. Queen Elizabeth II will celebrate 60 years on the throne this time next year with a 4-day bank holiday weekend from June 2 to June 5, 2012. The planned events:
Saturday 2nd June, 2012
- The Queen will attend the Epsom Derby
Sunday 3rd June, 2012
- The Big Jubilee Lunch: People will be encouraged to share lunch with neighbours and friends in the form of a traditional street party or a picnic lunch. Organisers: the Big Lunch.
- The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant: A flotilla with up to 1,000 boats on the Thames, with the Queen leading in the Royal Barge. Organisers: Thames Diamond Jubilee Foundation
Monday 4th June, 2012
- BBC Concert at Buckingham Palace: A televised Diamond Jubilee Concert at Buckingham Palace. Tickets are available to UK residents by public ballot. The programme is still under works and is expected to include musicians from the UK and the Commonwealth. Organiser: BBC
- The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Beacons: A network of 2,012 Beacons will be lit by communities & individuals throughout the United Kingdom, as well as the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the Commonwealth. The Queen will light the National Beacon. Organiser: Diamond Jubilee Beacons Ltd.
Tuesday 5th June, 2012
- Service of Thanksgiving & Carriage Procession: A Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral and a formal carriage Procession by The Queen.
Further details on Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee will be released in early 2012
Source: The British Monarchy’s website
Other Royal News:
The Duke of Edinburgh’s 90th Birthday. Prince Philip turns 90 on June 10, 2011. A church service and reception is scheduled for June 12 at Windsor Castle. Send him a birthday greeting through the British Monarchy’s website.
Pippa & the Middletons. Pippa was in the spotlight again earlier this week when she was photographed watching the French Open and clubbing in Paris. And as expected, the Daily Mail is trying to stir a scandal out of digging into a Middleton employee’s Twitter account and accusing Pippa of exploiting her royal connections for a Paris tennis freebie. Some tabloids are just ridiculous!
Princess Catherine & Fashion. Another silly point for the Daily Mail for trying to stir a Kate Middleton vs Michelle Obama fashion rivalry, pointing out that Kate’s winning in sales. Plus how Kate has catapulted the Reiss brand.
Prince William plays polo. The Duke of Cambridge led his team to victory at the Audi Polo Challenge for charity in Chester yesterday. Pictures here. Wife Kate chose to stay at home. William, England’s Football Association president, also released a statement supporting the delay of the FIFA presidential election. Alas, his efforts were in vain.
Prince Charles & Camilla in Scotland. The pair is in Scotland visiting various charity projects. Pictures of Prince Charles in the Scottish Borders & Ayrshire. And pictures of the Duchess of Cornwall.