- Royal News Updates for 2012-08-07 http://t.co/bWEDgpa1 #
- Duchess of Cambridge leaves sailors smitten during Portland visit … http://t.co/eCujdAHw #
- Mike Tindall buys wife Zara Phillips £2.99 card from Sainsbury's on the day of their first anniversary… http://t.co/6jyaeGop #
- Today's Olympic schedule RT @QueenVicMirror: Prince Harry off to the athletics and cycling tonight, nothing for William and Kate. #
- Velodrome now has Prince Harry, Princess Anne, husband Tim L, Peter Phillips, Princesses Beatrice & Eugenie w mum Sarah Ferguson #olympics #
- Gold for Laura Trott! Royal lucky charms indeed! #teamGB # olympics #
- Photoset: Princesses Beatrice, Eugenie & mum Sarah Ferguson watching cycling today #olympics .. http://t.co/gEkfEEBn #
- Another gold for Sir Chris Hoy! Congratulations! #TeamGB #Olympics #
- Updated photoset of the royals at today's #Olympics including great celebratory shots of Prince Harry & Peter Phillips http://t.co/pAH0pQ3a #
- And for those who're missing Kate on her day off: PICS: Duchess of Cambridge making rounds in Olympic London… http://t.co/dFPuPaXn #
- Too cute! RT @HRH_Lupo Andy Murray's dogs @maggiemay_hem & Rusty may have Olympics medals but @HRH_Lupo's got a crown.. http://t.co/N04Btmk9 #
- Article & Pictures: Prince Harry roars on Team GB's cyclists on a golden night in the Velodrome #london2012 .. http://t.co/lJkuhtRn #
- Video: The Queen rounds off Diamond Jubilee celebrations with tea at Balmoral http://t.co/MWCZPIq3; Pictures http://t.co/pn4EuPFw #
- Good read: The Return of Posh Fashion (w Duchess of Cambridge's influence). Hurrah to @whatkatewore for being featured http://t.co/j9pxhTBI #
Posts Tagged mike
The Queen shows a brave face at Sandringham this Christmas as her husband
(pictured this month) continues to recover in hospital. Pictures: PA
In the absence of his father, Prince Charles leads the walk to St Mary Magdalene Church.
It was the largest Royal Christmas for decades as a crowd of 3,000 — three times the size of last year (partly due to better weather and undoubtedly inspired by their latest addition, the Duchess of Cambridge) — gathered at Sandringham this year to greet the Royal Family. All of the family was expected to be there, too — Her Majesty, all her children, grandchildren, great-grandchild, plus the 2 latest additions – Kate and Mike Tindall. Sadly, on 23 December, the head of the family, the Duke of Edinburgh, had to be rushed to a hospital for an emergency heart stenting after experiencing chest pains. He missed Christmas this year. And for the first time in 55 years, the Queen spent Christmas apart from her husband. The Duke remained in “high spirits,” “anxious to leave”, and insisted that the show must go on.
In an unexpected move, the whole family attended an earlier service on Christmas morning (thought to be fore communion) before heading back, changing clothes, and returning for the formal Christmas service. In the absence of his father, Prince Charles & Camilla led the walk to St Mary Magdalene Church, followed by William, Kate and Harry.
It’s the Duchess of Cambridge’s first Christmas at Sandringham — and she was a hit!
Pictures: Alan Davidson, Reuters
A crowd of 3,000 — 3 times the size of last year — gathered to see William & Kate
Picture: Alan Davidson
The royal newlyweds Zara & Mike Tindall, and William & Kate (dressed down for an earlier service that morning)
Pictures: Getty Images, Ken Goff
After the service, the family received (an unusually large number of) flowers, cards, gifts and well wishes from the crowd. A lot of them, of course, are there to see Kate for the first time. Veteran royal-watcher Mary Relph, said: “I have never seen queues like this on Christmas Day before, I have never seen this amount of people here since Diana was alive. People obviously came to see Kate Middleton. And she was fantastic.“ Journalist Alison Croose agreed: “I have not seen crowds like this since back into the Diana days. It reminded me of the Diana years – when Diana introduced Prince William to the crowds when he was about seven or eight. It was touching. Diana used to have her hand on his back. Now you see William with his hand on Kate’s back. It was really nice.”
Prince Harry, the most eligible royal bachelor, brought cheers when he kissed a girl on the cheek. When her friend asked for a peck too he replied with a grin: “I can’t give you a kiss, I just kissed her.”
After Christmas lunch, all of the Duke’s grandchildren — William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Peter and Zara — drove to Papworth Hospital to visit him. Her Majesty and their children — Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward — had seen him the day before. And then it’s back to Sandringham to continue with the holiday plans, including the traditional Boxing Day shoot. On with the show without a lot of fuss — just as the Duke would have wanted it.
Update: The Duke of Edinburgh was released from hospital on 27 December. He spent 4 nights in Papworth Hospital.
- Sky: Video recap of Christmas with royals (best, most footage)
- Raw video: Royals at Sandringham (arriving/leaving church, meeting crowd)
- Video from Sandringham spectator (shows royals passing, including, Harry, William & Kate)
- BBC recap (Prince Philip in hospital, royals in Sandringham, Queen’s Christmas messsage)
- (Christmas gathering): Getty Images | Rex Features | Isopix
- (Royal grandchildren visiting Prince Philip): Getty Images
- Daily Mail: Prince Philip in hospital as Kate spends first Christmas as a royal
- The Sun: Kate’s great, but Prince Philip waits
- Sky: Royal grandchildren visit Duke in hospital after Sandringham festivities
- Mirror: Kate in mulled wine outfit for first royal Christmas
- Prayers for Philip as thousands gather to see the Queen, William & Kate on Christmas Day (includes small videos)
- Kate opts for festive berry shade to celebrate first Christmas with the royals
- Kate dazzles in gold drop earrings at Sandringham Christmas
- On 24 December, William played football (team won) at Sandringham. (Harry & Kate appeared at the end according to a few spectators but weren’t photographed)
- Prince Philip’s life-saving heart procedure
Last week was busy for the royals in terms of appearances and news, which culminated in a moving ceremony at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.
Her Majesty leads the nation in commemorating the war dead. Pictures by Reuters
The Foreign Office balcony with the Duchess of Cornwall,
the Duchess of Cambridge, & the Countess of Wessex
Photo by Getty Images
Video Coverage in its entirety: (3 parts)
- BBC: Queen leads tributes at Cenotaph
- Mirror: Kate at Whitehall as Queen leads nation in honoring the fallen
- Daily Mail: Queen leads tributes to fallen heroes on Remembrance Sunday
- Daily Mail: Duchess of Cambridge attends first Remembrance Sunday as member of the royal family
William & Kate Appearances
In between this month’s appearance in Copenhagen with the Danish royals for Unicef and Remembrance Sunday, we saw the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge in 2 events: (1) a black tie gala for the National Memorial Arboretum Appeal, and (2) a meeting with The Prince’s Charities.
National Memorial Arboretum Appeal
William & Kate attended a black-tie reception in aid of the National Memorial Arboretum Appeal at St James’s Palace. The Duke launched the appeal, which aims to raise £12 million to develop the Arboretum in Alrewas, Staffordshire, into a world-renowned centre for remembrance
- Video of William’s speech with footage of William & Kate mingling with guests
- Article: Kate dazzles in Grecian gown at St James’s Palace dinner
The Prince’s Charities Forum
The following day, the Cambridges attended The Prince’s Charities Forum at BAFTA 195 Piccadilly. It is the first time Kate has attended the forum. It gathers every 2 years.
Prince William to be Posted in the Falklands
We knew it was coming next year, and now it’s confirmed. The Ministry of Defence announced that the Duke of Cambridge will complete a routine deployment as a RAF search and rescue co-pilot in the Falklands for 6 weeks on February to March 2012. This will help him obtain his goal of captaincy by next year. (Article)
The announcement as ruffled feathers in Argentina ahead of next year’s 30th anniversary of the war over the Falklands. (Article)
Kate will not be able to join him for this posting. However the newlyweds are slated to spend Christmas with the royals at Sandringham (another first for Kate) and celebrate her 30th birthday on January 9. William will also be back in time for the Queen’s Jubilee celebrations in June 2012.
Pippa Middleton & Alex Loudon Broke Up
It’s true. Kate’s little sister is back on the market! Pippa has reportedly split from financier boyfriend of one & a half years Alex after weeks of blazing rows, including a recent public one during a friend’s wedding. (Original article from The Sun)
The papers are having a field day playing the who-dumped-who game. Most say it’s a matter of quiet Alex not being able to handle Pippa’s sudden fame after she’s thrown into the international spotlight following her sister’s wedding. The Daily Mail even wrote a rather snarky article saying Alex’s very discreet parents thought Pippa “sweet” but “not wife material” (I take this article with a grain of salt, as those really in the know would never talk to the press). On top of that, there are rumblings of a 3rd party in the relationship (Pippa’s side). (Article)
Either way, Pippa is said to be finding comfort from Will & Kate. She joined Will, Kate and her parents at Birkhall last weekend, where Kate was said to have been practicing her hunting skills in preparation for Sandringham. And last weekend, word has it that Pippa joined old pal (ex-boyfriend) George Percy on a shooting party in Northumberland.
What’s next from this frenzy? Without a doubt more Pippa-Harry nonsense…
Mike Tindall Sacked from England Rugby Team & Fined £25k for “Serious Misconduct”
[ad#zazzleright-diamondjubilee]It’s a devastating end to the new royal’s career. Mike Tindall, who married Zara Phillips in July, has been embroiled in a controversy over the World Cup last September when he was seen flirting & kissing a girl in a bar. Later reports say the blonde was an ex-girlfriend, and that Mike had gone on to a second bar with the same girl. Zara flew to NZ a few days later, and all seemed forgiven
However, after a Rugby Football Union investigation of the said night, Mike was slapped with a heavy fine and kicked out of Elite Player Squad. This will very likely mean the end of his career. Mike is said to be trying to appeal the fine.
For video summaries of the latest news from last week, here are reports from US morning shows:
- Video: Today Shows report
- Video: Early Show with Victoria Arbiter, separating fact from fiction (Falklands, Pippa, pregnancy rumours)
It didn’t feel too long, did it? After a low-key summer, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge stepped out to open The Royal Marsden Hospital’s Oak Centre for Children and Young People in Sutton. They toured the facility, and met medical staff, patients and their parents. Prince William is president of the children’s cancer charity.
The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge open cancer centre at the Royal Marsden Hospital
29 September 2011. Photos: Getty Images
The event came after William pulled a 24-hour shift flying emergency helicopter rescue missions. The all-nighter ferried a serviceman from a warship off the Isle of Mann to Sandhurst in Surrey to see a seriously ill relative. He also helped pick up a casualty with serious head injuries in Snowdonia. Mind you, he didn’t look tired at all and was all smiles during the event. Kate arrived separately from London in a beautiful oatmeal Amanda Wakeley dress (which, naturally, has already sold out).
During the visit, William was reunited with Alice Marples, 12, a cancer patient who interviewed him two years ago for the CBBC Newsround programme. She presented Kate with flowers.
The couple chatted with cancer patients and their families — William making plenty of jokes (didn’t escape any football talk) and Kate asking lots of questions. She promised to look up a child’s blog and post a message. William made a speech; they unveiled a plaque and did a small walkabout. As usual, they spend 30 more minutes doing the engagement than scheduled.
P.S. Many people questioned why Kate arrived wearing her engagement ring and left without it? Answer? Hygiene! Here’s an explanation…
Kate Continues “Princess Training”…
As Prince William buckles down to get flight hours needed for RAF captaincy, Kate has started spending plenty of her time training to be a royal. The Palace said that they have issued a program that will strengthen the Duchess’ knowledge on the arts, media and the government. Personal sessions with experts are being conducted in St James’s Palace and on site. One sighting was a visit to London’s National Portrait Gallery to understand how it is run. Kate has also been researching on which charities she plans to support by meeting with organizers and visiting on site. However, it is unlikely that any patronages will be announced until the new year. On the evening of the Royal Marsden visit, William, Kate & Harry hosted a reception at St James’s Palace for the staff and donors of The Foundation of Prince William & Prince Harry (they’re still working on a name to encompass Kate).
- The Duchess of Cambridge’s royal lessons
- Kate given lessons on workings of state to groom her for senior royal duties
- Kate’s secret charity visits
Other Recent William & Kate News:
- Prince William talks openly about his warm relationship with the Queen; says he “desperately tries not to think” about future as king
- From new book: Prince William talks about the Queen, including how she helped on the Royal Wedding
- Personal account of Kate fashion watcher who saw her shopping at Topshop in Kensington
- “Ordinary girl” Kate spotted in local Topshop, queues and uses rewards cards
- London designers hail “elegant” & “perfect future queen” Kate
- Kate bound for charity work, not the cover of Vogue
- 24 September: Kate (in red), William, Pippa & Alex attend friends’ wedding
- 23 September: Kate getting her hair done at Richard Ward
- William & Kate visit Queen at Balmoral
- Video: Interview with Mario Testino: “Kate is stylish, beautiful, charming & a very nice person. William has chosen well”
- Audio: Interview with royal snapper Arthur Edwards: William asked him to do balcony kiss pictures, and drove Aston Martin with the hand brake up
Zara & Mike Updates
The recent controversy of Mike Tindall caught on video hugging and kissing a blonde did not go away quietly. Since then, Zara has flown to New Zealand. The pair has reunited and have shown a brave face of solidarity in public. Their spokesperson maintained that the woman in the video is an “old friend.”
- Zara & Mike hand-in-hand as they celebrate match victory
- Zara & Mike reunited in NZ
- There’s a 2nd CCTV video of Mike & blonde in another bar, but it won’t be released to the public
- More witnesses from Mike’s night out describe “overtly sexual” behaviour
- More pictures from Mike’s night out
- Princess Anne allegedly upset over son-in-law Mike’s antics
- Zara appears in a charity fashion show in NZ ahead of reunion with Mike
- Zara laughs off video of Mike and “old friend”
- Mike allegedly tells Zara that blonde is an “old flame”
- Mike Tindall’s father says his son would never cheat
- Zara wins top prize at horse-jumping event
Other Royal News:
- Must read: extract from Robert Hardman’s new book “Our Queen,” including fascinating stories (like HM hurling tennis shoes at Prince Philip)
- New portrait of the Queen unveiled to salute 90 years of the Royal British Legion
- Queen’s hectic tour of Australia could be her last
- Princess Beatrice warns boyfriend not to propose yet
- Prince Andrew back on a taxpayer-funded trade mission and meeting Bin Laden’s family
- Prince Harry enjoys night out in Public
- Prince Harry enjoyed day driving super fast race cars
- Introducing Gila Bend — the sleepy town in Arizona where Prince Harry will spend the next few months
- Chelsy Davy parties with Made in Chelsea stars
- The latest modelling pictures of Florence Brudenell-Bruce