Back to blogging, as promised, in time for Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee…
Sixty years on the throne. Sixty glorious years worthy of utmost admiration and reverence. June 3, 2012 marked the highlight of Queen Elizabeth II’s 4-day Diamond Jubilee celebration with a flotilla of 1,000 ships parading in the iconic River Thames. Sure, it bloody rained! Hard. But that didn’t deter the approximated 1.2 million people who lined river, threw street parties and celebrated with the Queen.
Her Majesty was on board the Spirit of Chartwell with the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles & Camilla, William & Kate, and Prince Harry. The less senior royals were on other vessels. The Duchess of Cambridge’s family was there too. The Queen, despite the rain, stood for two hours, resplendent in her silver-white dress. Happy faces all around. Truly a day to remember.
The Gloriana led a 1,0oo-strong fleet of boats through the Thames
The Flotilla has broken the Guinness World Record for the longest parade of boats.
Picture: Getty Images
A glorious 60-year reign for a most beloved Queen. The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh were all smiles in the rain.
Picture: Getty Images
- BBC: Key moments from the Thames River Pageant
- Telegraph: Royal family aboard the Spirit of Chartwell
- BBC: Charles & Camilla are surprise guests at street party
Articles about the day:
- The Mail: (With beautiful, large pictures) Three generations of royals join the Queen on glorious river pageant
- Sky News: A million line the Thames for Queen’s pageant
- Telegraph: Happy & glorious: the River Queen
- Telegraph: The river pageant as it happened (blogged live)
- BBC: Diamond pageant cheered by huge crowds
- BBC: Pomp & celebration defy the rain
- CNN: Pomp, pageantry & pouring rain
- The Sun: Royals in red, white & blue in patriotic river parade
- Telegraph: Diamond Jubilee tributes from around the world
- Express: Our Diamond Queen: long may she reign
- The Mirror’s Kent Gavin’s view of the day: “She seemed totally taken aback”
- Mirror: Young royals show they’re steering the monarchy on safe course during river pageant
- Vintage is back for the royals at the river pageant
- What Kate Wore: Duchess of Cambridge in red McQueen
- Kate’s dress seen similarly on Kim Kardashian & Tulisa before?
- Photoset: Getty Images
- Telegraph: the best of day 2
- BBC: River pageant pictures
- What the royals wore to the river pageant
The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebration continues…
- Schedule of events for the next days
- TV/radio coverage for UK residents
- TV coverage for US residents
- Diamond Jubilee: The Final Day
- The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee (Details)
- Site on Short Holiday
- Diamond Jubilee: Concert at Buckingham Palace
- With William Away, Kate Joins Forces with The Queen, Prince Charles