The Queen, who wore a festive white coat and fur hat, was joined by the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke of York, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie and the Earl and Countess of Wessex for their annual Christmas church service in Sandringham. The Duke of Edinburgh and Prince Harry led the Royal party on foot
More than 1,000 well-wishers lined the route to St Mary Magdalene Church on the estate in Norfolk. But several onlookers expressed disappointment that two of her grandchildren, Prince William and Zara Phillips, were absent.
Prince William volunteered to be on call yesterday at RAF Valley in Anglesey where he works as a search and rescue helicopter pilot, while his fiancée, Kate Middleton, was spending her final Christmas at her family home in Berkshire (see below)
The Queen used her annual Christmas Day message to the nation on Saturday to highlight the importance of sport and “team spirit” to unite communities. Breaking with tradition, the messagewas recorded last week at Hampton Court.
In her address to the nation, the Queen spoke of the “co-operative endeavour” used to compile the Bible and “bring harmony” to the country, which she linked to team efforts displayed throughout the world of sport. The broadcast was illustrated with footage of Princes William and Harry playing football with youngsters during their tour of southern Africa earlier this year.
Kate Middleton Spends Christmas with Family in Berkshire
Kate Middleton and family are pictured arriving home after spending Christmas Day out together. It may be Kate’s last Christmas with her family – mother Carole, father Michael, sister Phillipa and brother James. Smiling, she appears to be arriving in a car with her royal protection officers while the rest of her family took another car. BBC and Sky News crews along with photographers were waiting eagerly for her arrival at the family’s Berkshire home.
Other News / Reports:
- The Telegraph: Archbishop of Canterbury holds royal wedding as symbol of hope in Christmas sermon
- Daily Mail: Kate enjoys her last Middleton family Christmas as William spends day at work
- CBS News (Video): Royals warn paparazzi about Kate and William
- Christmas 2009 for the Royals
- Sandringham Officers Seize Cameras During Sunday Church with Royals
- William & Kate to Spend Christmas Apart
- Prince William Likely to be Working Christmas
- Kate Spends First Royal Christmas at Sandringham While Duke of Edinburgh Stays in Hospital