August is upon us, and as with every summer, most royals take a break from official functions and return to public life in the fall. The Queen stays at Balmoral. The younger ones often go somewhere tropical for a holiday. Also note that with the lack of any distinct royal material, the most imaginative of stories often come out in the summer…
So what are we left with? A scattering of sightings… (though there’s always some guilt in seeing pictures of them upset over paparazzi shots. So I’ll be linking, but won’t be posting said pictures here).
Prince Harry in Mallorca
Prince Harry is on holiday! Believed to have arrived on the island Monday or Tuesday, staying in a villa in Port Andratx. The big question is: who’s he with? Royal watchers instantly recognize the Warrens — Jake and Susanna (or as the media refers to as “unknown bikini-clad female) from paparazzi pictures. They’re old friends, and Susanna’s Guy Pelly’s ex. The group has been spotted dining, having drinks, and exploring the coastline on a boat.
So what about Harry’s rumoured girlfriend Florence Brudenell-Bruce? As of Wednesday, she was photographed in London tending to her plants. According to Katie Nicholl of the Mail, they’re planning to meet up in Ibiza in the weekend. We’ll see. Watch this space…
William & Kate are back in Anglesey
People were waiting for their Edinburgh exit on Sunday after Zara’s wedding. But the pair was nowhere to be found. Why? Because they left Edinburgh on Monday. That morning, William & Kate were photographed walking hand-in-hand in Holyrood Park. They were also wearing matching purple sweaters. It’s a rare PDA sighting, which delighted many royal-watchers. However any thrill from the pictures was dampened by the fact that the couple (William, in particular) looked annoyed, prompting speculation that they were harassed / upset by the photographer. After taking a budget flight (they flew FlyBe!) home that afternoon, Kate’s first stop was Tesco. Again, she was photographed carrying her grocery bags and pushing the trolley back into the cart return. Peeping out of one of the bags is a box of Kellogg’s cereals.
Other Royal Tidbits:
- Young royals on a budget: William & Kate fly FlyBe; Harry takes EasyJet
- Kate makes Vanity Fair’s International Best Dressed List (no surprise there)
- Video: Amy Fine Collins of Vanity Fair talks about Best Dressed List & why Kate is the hands-down winner.
- Kate wore a customized Gina Foster hat to Zara’s wedding
- Kate gets SAS training to protect against kidnap threat
- Kelly Osbourne would not recycle her clothes if she were Kate
- Zara: “Marriage? I will only ever do it once”
- No honeymoon as Zara Phillips launches children’s equestrian clothing line
- The day after Zara’s wedding + insight from royal photographer Arthur Edwards on why this year is “annus mirabilis”