5 June 2012: A fitting culmination of four days of celebration. Alas, the Diamond Jubilee ended in a grand yet utterly moving display of pomp and pageantry.
The royals, minus Prince Philip who is still in hospital for a bladder infection, gathered at St Paul’s Cathedral for a Thanksgiving Service in the morning. The Queen then attended a reception at Mansion House while other senior royals including Charles and Camilla were at a similar event at the Guildhall, with members of the thanksgiving congregation present at both. William, Kate & Harry hosted separate tables during lunch.
Then came the anticipated carriage procession across London with an approximated one million spectators lining the street. Due to Philip’s absence, the Queen rode the 1902 state landau with Prince Charles & The Duchess of Cornwall. William, Kate and Harry took the other carriage. The six of them then appeared on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to see the crowds, enjoy a spectacular flypast and salute to the Queen. I admit it was strange for the balcony looking quite bare — due to the absence of the Duke of Edinburgh and the rest of the extended family. But it is a symbol of a slimmed-down monarchy; a sign of things to come. As usual, the crowds were massive! I have never seen such affection for the Queen or her family for a long time. Unforgettable.
Later that afternoon, Her Majesty released a pre-recorded message of thanks to her subjects. She called the Jubilee celebrations “humbling.” What a great lady! Long may she reign…
The Queen waves from the iconic balcony of Buckingham Palace.
A flypast culminated the celebrations. Pictures: Getty Images (left), Reuters
The future of the Monarchy: William, Catherine & Harry
Picture: Getty Images
The Queen’s Jubilee message of thanks:
- BBC: Highlights of 4-day Jubilee celebrations in 2 minutes
- Telegraph: Flypast & gun salute over Buckingham Palace
- Telegraph: Carriage procession through London
- Telegraph: Thanksgiving service highlights
- The Mail: A million people turned out to cheer Queen at Buckingham Palace balcony for Diamond Jubilee finale
- Sky News: Queen thanks the nation for Jubilee celebration
- The Sun: That’s what one calls a party
- BBC: Queen ‘humbled’ by Jubilee events
- BBC: Flypast brings Jubilee celebrations to an end
- Mirror: “An incredible day… absolutely wonderful:” what HM tells Charles on balcony
- Telegraph: A stripped-down Royal Family models itself in an age of austerity
- The Mail: The young royals: the future of the monarchy
- The Mail: Duchess of Cornwall: Once a pariah, now at the heart of the Royal Family
- The Mail: Duchess of Cambridge cements herself as senior as she hosts table at Guildhall (large Kate pics)
- The Mail: Harry, Kate & William (funny picture) looking tired at HM’s Thanksgiving service after concert after-party the night before
- Cheeky article: Kate & Harry thick as thieves. Cute pictures
- Getty Images Photoset: Carriage procession & balcony appearance
- Getty Images Photoset: Guildhall reception
- Getty Images Photoset: Service of Thanksgiving
- Telegraph: the best pics of day 4